Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sisters. Mothers. Daughters. Wives.

Those of you who know me will know that one of my greatest passions lies in the advocacy of women's and children's rights. So you can imagine my excitement at having the opportunity to work in this area during my time in South Africa.

Yesterday I had my first client consultation at PAHRO; today, I went with Maria and a few other volunteers to a legal clinic that PAHRO runs in Lavender Hill, in the Cape Flats area. The clinic is run in conjunction with another organisation - "Philisa Abafazi Bethu" (meaning "heal our women" in Xhosa) - and we run the free legal service in a bungalow on their premises. After today's clinic, I now have another client.

I could give you an outline of the type of legal research and work that I am doing for each client. But what I want to share with you are the stories that have been shared with me. Please note that I have changed all names and omitted certain specific details, including our legal advice. Sadly, however, these stories are representative of what is being faced by a large number of South African women - indeed, women all around the globe.

Elaine's Story

Elaine came to us at PAHRO as she needed assistance in appealing a sentence for a criminal conviction against her. Elaine had been the victim of an attack and attempted rape by an ex-boyfriend (in which she suffered multiple wounds, on her body and even genitals, inflicted by him with a beer bottle). The attack was executed in the presence of her son. In self-defence, Elaine had reached for the bottle and struck back. Because of the seriousness of her injuries, Elaine was hospitalised for a few days. Upon being discharged, she was arrested by the police. Due to certain connections that her ex-boyfriend had within the community (and, therefore, with the police), Elaine was beaten by the police and charged with the attempted murder of her ex-boyfriend. The charge was downgraded to assault, but not before Elaine had spent the better part of 3 years in prison. She is currently serving a 3-year sentence under house arrest, which means she risked a lot even leaving her house to come to our office. I think the image of Elaine lifting her clothes to show us her wounds will stay with me for a long time. Though, I suspect, not as long as her pain and anguish will stay with her.

Charlotte's Story

Charlotte came to the Lavender Hill clinic seeking information about what to do regarding an interdict (injunction) for a protection order, made by her mother, against her. Her mother is alleging that Charlotte, a young mother, is physically and verbally abusive towards her two children; Charlotte now risks having her children taken away from her. Charlotte believes that her mother is making the claim maliciously, due to the fact that she herself was not a good mother to Charlotte. They were constantly moving around and her mother always had relationships with "ex-cons" (in Charlotte's words). When Charlotte was 8-years-old, her mother's then boyfriend sexually abused her. When she told her mother this her mother did not believe her, laughing off the claims. Charlotte admitted to taking "tik" (methylamphetamines) at various points in her teenage life, but said that she had stopped when she fell pregnant. She had letters of support from her oldest child's school principal, neighbours and friends of the family. Her youngest child, whom she brought to the consultation, looked happy and healthy as far as we could tell. "I'll be damned if I let them take my children from me", she told us.

Gertrude's Story

Gertrude was another lady who attended the Lavender Hill clinic. Although one of Rachel's clients, I also sat in on her consultation and found her story (like those of the women before her) incredibly touching. Gertrude is trying to divorce her husband (and father of her children) because he is abusive and controlling. Moreover, he is a police officer (so who knows the extent of the control he exerts). Gertrude is a qualified teacher and manager; yet she has not been able (or allowed) to find employment in these fields. She has been trying to leave her marriage for the past 10 years, but to no avail. Again, Gertrude's tale was not dissimilar to ones I have heard before. But I found her strength and grace inspiring.  Although her manner was soft, her words spoke volumes: "I came into this marriage a poor person, and I don't care if I leave a poor person. I just want my independence". I come from a country where one of the greatest concerns in a divorce is the division of money and assets - and here was a woman who just wanted her freedom back.

I hope you read these three stories and spare a thought for the women in the middle of them. The last 48-hours, for me, have been a reminder of the suffering and abuse endured by women (and children) the world-over, particularly at the hands of men. I hope that, even in some small way, we can help Elaine, Charlotte and Gertrude. But what of the millions of other women and children? I keep telling myself: one step at a time. Unfortunately, on days like today, it seems like there are too many steps and not enough time.

I don't wish to end this blog post on a negative note, as I really believe in the work that various people and organisations are doing. So, as always, I welcome your thoughts, comments, ideas and questions.

2 comments:

  1. Life is like that for many, many people, especially women and children.
    YOU are making a difference by caring enough, advocating for them as you are at present, and, addressing these issues in the future, to make this world a fairer and safer place for children, women and men.
    I am so proud of you, and may God keep you and your co-workers safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Hindu grandmother helped me discover the poetry of karma through the rhetoric of ancient Vedic tragedies. It is a notion made comical by the tragedies aired daily on tv. In today’s lingo, poetic justice is an oxymoron...a literary device of fictions. Men inflict violence on women (and other lesser beings) because they can...because the prosaic prosecution of the law allows (them to get away with) it. The story of human rights has a compelling rhetoric, Zarah, one we’ve only recently begun to appreciate. Advocates for justice help us discover its poetry through the powerful narratives of its tragedies.

    ReplyDelete